Engine ping

Bespreek hier alle algemene zaken omtrent de Volkswagen up!
davidd
Forum newbie

Engine ping

Bericht door davidd » vr 02 dec 2016, 08:53

I recently purchased a demo VW Cross Up (55 kW). Once the engine is hot (90 deg C), I can hear transient pinging when accelerating from standstill through all gears (except 1st). I can also hear it once I have cornered in 2nd gear and accelerate. I shift around 3500 rpm dropping to 2500 rpm and the pinging then comes and goes until around 3000 rpm. This is also more pronounced when accelerating uphill. The response from VW has been that this is normal for the Up’s small engine and that the ECU diagnostics show nothing wrong. Apparently I am driving it incorrectly and labouring the engine since maximum torque is only supplied around 4000 rpm. I was also advised to completely ignore the gear shift indicator.

My understanding of modern engine control is that pinging should never be heard since the knock sensor should compensate at the first sign thereof. Am I wrong? Is this normal for such a small engine (3 cyl, 1L)? Should I be driving around like a revving hooligan and also compromise my fuel consumption figures if the pinging annoys me? What about possible long term engine damage caused by the premature ignition?

oerbrood
Forum newbie

Re: Engine ping

Bericht door oerbrood » di 06 dec 2016, 13:59

I am no expert on this topic but it sounds to me like VW doesn't want to help.
It should never make a knocking sound.
My engine only sounds like it is struggeling, if I put it in 5th gear, at a bit less than 30 mph, and then start accelerating.
That is no good. But I can switch back to 4th gear, and accelerate from 30mph at full throttle no problem, it doesn't make any noises it shouldn't make.

I guess that a demo car will be thrashed a lot more than a typical car, maybe that damaged the engine.
You should definitely not have to rev the car to its peak torque RPM to prevent knocking, that is total nonsense.

Does it sound like this?: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stTSkExjFfE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Plaats reactie